My photo
Sometimes random. Sometimes inspired. Most of the time bored.

Pages

On Murakami and his Kafka.


Kafka On The Shore
Haruki Murakami
5 of 5 stars
Read from September 16 to 18, 2011



Murakami, Murakami, Murakami. The Japanese genius. The end would be always be the same. This is what I like about his works, other than its unusual but amusing stories, they are quite thought provoking as well. After reading it, you can’t just close it and move on to another book or do another thing, no. You’ll need to sit down and ponder. Ask yourself what happened. Once, while reading Sputnik Sweetheart, I had to map out all the possible keywords and metaphors on a sheet of paper to be able to get a solid flow of how the story went. I only did that with Murakami’s work. 

A good memory is definitely an ally in dealing with Murakami. His stories can jump from here and there, then and now so seamlessly. He puts an element in point C then mentions it again on point W. It helps to see the connections.


So far, the works of Murakami that I’ve already read are: Sputnik Sweetheart; Norweigan Wood; On seeing the 100% perfect girl one beautiful April morning; South of the Border, West of the Sun and What I Really Talk About When I Talk About Running. The first four almost have the same theme of love and loss and longing and attempts of reuniting. It has the same dream-like effect, like while reading the stories, the reader’s in some sort of a surreal experience. The mind insists that this is just ridiculous, too impossible, this doesn’t make sense. But the reader goes on, lured into what would happen to next, hungry to know the answers, the meanings behind the riddles. Without any idea how the story would unfold, how it will end. Actually even after finishing the book, some readers are still at loss with what happened. That’s the classic Murakami. The last book however is of a different genre. It’s a memoir of Murakami as a writer and a runner. It’s told in a more personal way, more tangible if words can be tangible. Because his novels have that sort of character in it, like stories are just wisps of smokes taking different forms, merging with the wind then vanishing.

And with Kafka on the Shore, I was introduced to another dish. The classic Murakami effect is still there, the theme remains, but there’s something else I really can’t put into words right now. My friend once told me that Murakami should be read Kafka first, then Sputnik, in that order please. I don’t remember asking why but I guess I pretty much understand now. Kafka on the Shore is different compared to his other works that I’ve read. The way that the story is written, the way the story develops, the characters and the places. They just get into you, no, more like, they drag you in. My friends weren’t able to talk to me for the two and a half days that I was reading the book, I was somewhere else. Completely absorbed with what’s happening in Murakami’s world. That happens.

Kafka on the Shore is told from various perspectives. The story’s mainly divided with the separate but connected journeys of Nakata and Kafka. How their lives revolve around a woman. And no, this isn’t your regular love triangle. In fact, there’s no love triangle at all. Nakata’s an old guy who is a bit of a retard and Kafka’s a bright fifteen year old boy. Another new from Murakami in this book are talking cats, fishes and leeches falling from the sky and some damn stone. I love how while reading the novel, the reader can also learn more about other things like history, film and music. On this one, Murakami’s choices were Beethoven and Francois Truffaut. And I love Francois Truffaut! As usual, the characters are witty, interesting and engaging. There are some parts in the book that I literally laughed out loud. I also stared blankly at the ceiling once, with one word in mind: WHAT?! The story's a bit long, 489 pages (in my copy) printed in not medium but nearly small letters with so many things happening along the way, but all these little things are there for a reason. I don’t want to say much. But I think, Kafka on the Shore is definitely a must read! And hang on, until the very end. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment