What to do when you're done with work and is just staying for the mandatory 9-hour presence at the office?
I've always enjoyed reading. That's what I've been doing since I learned how to do it. I read everything that I can. On the comfort room, I read the labels of the shampoo bottles, of the soap boxes, the labels on the ceramics and other stuff. Most of the time, I have books with me. If I don't, there's always something to read wherever I rest my eyes upon.
So...on idle moments like this, of course I read...and well write.
Current affairs, articles about culture, media and technology, these are some of my interests and I've always wanted to read them. Incidentally, The Guardian and The Washington Post has social reader apps on Facebook. And during idle moments on the office, that's where I'm mostly hooked.
Although I find them a little bit ironic, or I don't know the word. I have pledged to read the written word. But what choice do I have? These are readily available on a click and all I have to do is to read them. Buying foreign newspapers would be troublesome. Local newspapers on the other hand is something I fail to get my hands on most of the time. I know, it's sad.
But hey at least I'm still reading. And seeing a post about a Journalism study overseas where undergraduates can participate just made me miss my course more.
I miss writing news stories and features. I miss covering events and the rush to finish the deadlines. I miss checking the newspapers to see if my story has been published. I miss writing in quality not quantity.
And even if I am currently not in the newspaper industry, I hope the spirit of journalism will remain in me. That I will still seek for what's true even if there is no assurance that it will be made known to all (but that should never stop anyone from seeking and sharing it), that I will carefully sift through words in everything I write because I know every single word in every story has a story of its own and that maybe someday, I'll be back on the road again--of telling the world stories that matter, of stories that may not be popular but has meaning, about hopes and death and triumph and loss and the eternal and enduring human spirit and everything else around it. And maybe even beyond it.
#hellonostalgia

No comments:
Post a Comment