Facade. With the cédille please.
I was in the fourth grade when I first learned that word. The example that was given to us by our teacher is that of a building. The way how the building looks outside is its facade.
Last night, my friends and I were talking about another friend's current relationship status. How everyone's envious of our friend because she and her guy seems so happy all over facebook. Coming from a traumatic prior relationship that we all knew of, we were really happy to see her with this guy who seems so amazing, who seems to treat our friend like she's his world to the extent that he flies from the other side of the world just to see her every once in a while.
As it turns out, everything is just a facade.
Then we started sharing our own stories, our own facades in the current situation of our lives.
Then I was reminded...no one is ever truly happy.
And maybe there's nothing wrong with that because maybe that's just how life is. Because once we get "truly" happy, then what else is there?
So maybe, as long as facades exist, it should be a comfort for us to know that there's always something more, there's always something beyond the visible, something behind how the building looks on the outside.
Anything is possible. Facade was our word for the night.

No comments:
Post a Comment